I'm finally close to finishing the green striped polonaise. I had a deadline of today to get as much done as possible since I was going out of town. Of course having a deadline always makes you work harder.
Again, this is the pattern I used, Truly Victorian #410.
I'd seen someone else's gown who used white eyelet beading as trim around the neckline, down the front, and along the hemline. They ran a narrow ribbon matching the color in their gown through it. I tried to do the same with a matching green color but the celery green stripe was such an odd color that I couldn't find anything that matched, or even came close. So I decided on a yellow ribbon to pick up the yellow in the green color.
The openings for the ribbon to run thru the eyelet were really small, and it was taking me quite awhile to bend the ribbon to go through it. So I used a lacing needle that I'd bought to use on my corset and ran the ribbon with it. It worked out really well.
I had some vintage white buttons that I thought would look nice with this, and did machine sewn buttonholes
I'm having problems with the neckline where it buttons closed; it's a little too wide for me and it gaps out a bit. I thought I corrected that when I made up the muslin. But I think after I add a yellow bow to the top, it will cover that up.
This is without the boning in it. I've got the eyelet beading sewn along the neckline and down the front, and around the hem to the back.
And here is the side view showing the polonaise point on the side and the trim on it. I've seen this part tied back like mine is, or not tied back at all and it hangs straight. On mine I think I like the tied back look.
And my bonnet is coming along. Right now it's ready to be worn with a hat pin holding it on, which is period correct. But I've also seen it with a ribbon tying it under the chin. I might do that. The grapes are vintage and have a few holes in them but I think it gives them character. I glued a white striped translucent ribbon around the crown, and put a bow and tails on the back. The front has a similar bow and some bits of yellow velvet ribbon to tie in the yellow. I also saw one bonnet with a lace trim along the edges. I dug through my stash and found a pretty one I'm going to try. I think it needs more of something on the other side. I'm going to keep my eye out for some little yellow flowers or daisys.
I'm still sewing the boning in but looks like it will be done in plenty of time to wear for the 1870s Picnic in Wilmington (Long Beach) at the Banning Residence Museum.
UPDATE ON THE BONNET:
I found some yellow ribbon in 2" & 3" widths today, along with some tiny yellow daisies that "looked" vintage instead of plasticky. So I added those to the bonnet, and I think I can call it done now.
Front view: And on me: I plan on wearing my braided halo hairpiece with the chignon attached to the back with this.
This is a photo diary of my costuming "travels"; where I've learned and struggled to make historical costumes for myself. They're not always pretty, but always fun. most of the time. And I want to share with others what I learn along the way. **You can find me on Facebook, or have my posts delivered to your email by signing up at the lower part of the right column.**
- Time Traveling in Costume
- HI, my name is Val. I'm a member of Costumer's Guild West in Los Angeles, member & Past President of the San Diego Costume Guild, member of Orange County Costume Guild, a representative of the San Diego History Center, & an honorary member of SITU (Someplace in Time, Unlimited) in Seattle. This year I am the Dean of Costume College 2018. I make my own historical costumes but don't sell any unless I get tired of one.The eras I've made so far are 1770 up to 1918. My favorite is the 1880s bustle.