This is a photo diary of my costuming "travels"; where I've learned and struggled to make historical costumes for myself. They're not always pretty, but always fun, most of the time. And I want to share with others what I learn along the way. **You can find me on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/Time-Traveling-in-Costume-640703499399817/ or have my posts delivered to your email by signing up at the lower part of the right column.**



About Me

My photo
HI, my name is Val. I'm a member of Costumer's Guild West in Los Angeles, Dean of 2018 & 2024 Costume College; Past President of the San Diego Costume Guild, member of Orange County Costume Guild, and a representative of the San Diego History Center. I also put on historical fashion shows for various groups. I make my own historical costumes but don't sell any unless I get tired of one.The eras I've made so far are 1770 up to 1918. My favorite is the 1880s bustle.

Followers

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

1780s Teal Caraco- Finished!

Started May 2010/ Finished August 25, 2010
Due to “time management, I wasn’t able to finish both caracos as planned. Since I was further along on the teal jacket, I decided that was the one that would get finished first and worn at Costume College.
I sewed the lining in by machine except along bottom edge, which I sewed by hand. I made a pleated self fabric trim to go all along the edges and cuffs. I used a 3” wide strip of fabric & lightly ironed it in half along the length for a center to fold the sides into to have a finished edge on both sides. The pleats were made with a 1” wide metal ruler, pinned, then sewn down the middle. I decided to baste the pleats to my jacket in case I wanted to do something different later.





At the last minute I decided to make a pretty apron to go over the petticoat. Last year I’d bought some machine embroidered sheer silk at Home Fabrics in the Garment District, after finding it while shopping with Angela Burnley (of Burnley & Trowbridge) & Janea Whitacre (of Colonial Williamsburg). They both confirmed it was exactly the right material for fancy aprons. I just used the width of the fabric with a prefinished edge, added a waistband of 1” twill to the pleated waist, and sewed a tiny rolled hem on the bottom. Et Voila! I loved it! It added a nice icing to the cake.
On August 6, I wore it to the Ice Cream Social at Costume College, where we had an 18th Century theme. My only accessories were a double row of fresh water pearls, teardrop pearl earrings, and a small feathered peacock & peacock feathers in my hair.

2 comments:

ALL COMMENTS ARE HELD IN MODERATION UNTIL I APPROVE THEM TO SAVE EVERYONE FROM SPAMMERS. But I would love to hear from my readers!