This is a photo diary of my costuming "travels"; where I've learned and struggled to make historical costumes for myself. They're not always pretty, but always fun, most of the time. And I want to share with others what I learn along the way. **You can find me on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/Time-Traveling-in-Costume-640703499399817/ or have my posts delivered to your email by signing up at the lower part of the right column.**



About Me

My photo
HI, my name is Val. I'm a member of Costumer's Guild West in Los Angeles, Dean of 2018 & 2024 Costume College; Past President of the San Diego Costume Guild, member of Orange County Costume Guild, and a representative of the San Diego History Center. I also put on historical fashion shows for various groups. I make my own historical costumes but don't sell any unless I get tired of one.The eras I've made so far are 1770 up to 1918. My favorite is the 1880s bustle.

Followers

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Costume College starts this week!!

I just finished all the last minute details on my two new costumes I'll be wearing to the costume convention in Los Angeles.


 I leave Thursday morning to drive up there, and return Monday night after an all day shopping frenzy in the Garment District. I'm going to be a personal guide to a group of newbies to the GD. Always fun to see the "deer caught in the headlights" look on their faces.
I also finished the flower arrangements and foliage decor I'm using for the Sunday Fantasy Tea there. I have a good feeling how the room is going to look. With the La Belle Epoque posters on the walls, plant stands w/ Boston ferns, music of ragtime playing, and a French Maitre d', I think it will make an elegant presentation.
And I finished cutting up 119 photos of members in their finest costumes from the last year to be displayed at the Caught on Camera display in the costume exhibit there. A lot of them were ones I took but I got a lot more sent in to me this year than last year, which was it's first time. I think it's going to be bigger every year, so I'm going to be jones'ing for a larger display area next time.
The packing marathon begins!

3 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time. Oh would I love to visit the Garment District with you. I don't need a thing, but I know I would find it anyway.
    I for one will look forward to hearing all about it and seeing the pictures. The tea already sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val – I don’t think of it as the “Deer in headlights” look anymore. I think it is the “Speechless and drooling” look as they calculate if the suitcase or vehicle will hold one more piece of fabric, bag of trim, notion, book or pattern to take back with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sylvia, I had 4 ladies with me on the tour. One was definitly "caught in the headlights". Another was bouncing off the walls & literally squealing; and the anothers didn't know where to start. But, yes, filling suitcases as much as possible was a priority.

    ReplyDelete

ALL COMMENTS ARE HELD IN MODERATION UNTIL I APPROVE THEM TO SAVE EVERYONE FROM SPAMMERS. But I would love to hear from my readers!