This is a photo diary of my costuming "travels"; where I've learned and struggled to make historical costumes for myself. They're not always pretty, but always fun, most of the time. And I want to share with others what I learn along the way. **You can find me on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/Time-Traveling-in-Costume-640703499399817/ or have my posts delivered to your email by signing up at the lower part of the right column.**



About Me

My photo
HI, my name is Val. I'm a member of Costumer's Guild West in Los Angeles, Dean of 2018 & 2024 Costume College; Past President of the San Diego Costume Guild, member of Orange County Costume Guild, and a representative of the San Diego History Center. I also put on historical fashion shows for various groups. I make my own historical costumes but don't sell any unless I get tired of one.The eras I've made so far are 1770 up to 1918. My favorite is the 1880s bustle.

Followers

Monday, September 26, 2011

Welcome to my Sewing Room

I was really inspired today after seeing someone else posting photos of their wardrobe holding their costumes. I always love seeing how other folks store and display their costumes and projects. And I get some ideas from them sometimes.
This is the right half of my closet in my sewing room. It has two shelves above for extra storage. My gowns are really packed in there, and right now I can't even slide a piece of paper between them.
I started hanging the overflow on a storage rack outside my closet, and it still has room for some more. It also holds my big floofy petticoats, bustles, and an elliptical hoop.  
So here we have my entire wardrobe. I counted 21 gowns. I have a plastic tub that holds my underpinnings.
On the left side of my closet (yes, it's a big one!) is all shelves for my fabrics. I have them folded around cardboard bolts from JoAnn's Fabrics that they just throw away and are happy to give me.

On top of my computer desk opposite is my hat collection. Each box has a small photo of the hats inside which makes it SOOO much easier to find a particular hat. I tried having them listed but it took so long to read the lists. A quick glance finds me the hat I'm looking for. They reach the ceiling so I have no more room to go up.
On the opposite side of the room are my shelves that hold my costume books. I've been told by a friend that she is bequeathing me her entire library of costume books, so I'm afraid some reorganizing is going to be needed soon.

This is how I store my patterns, in large see-through tubs under my sewing table. The smaller one holds all my ribbons, & I have another that holds my laces. Each tub is labeled with the pattern companies stored inside them. I have four altogether.

I showed you mine. Let's see your's now!

5 comments:

  1. LOL I've been thinking of doing a post like this but I don't have a dedicated sewing space. I have to creatively store things here and there. Love your work! I read your blog all the time! Thanks for sharing your sewing room!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your sewing room looks much like mine! Only mine is a mess. I even have the heads, lol~
    Nice to "meet" you, I found your blog from a link on facebook.
    Lovely gowns! I'm trying to view old posts and my pc is not cooperating. I may have to try the lace cap, how pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Laurie, thank you for being a reader & commmenter!

    @Nikki, welcome to my "sewing room". It's a mess too, & I have piles everywhere! I just didn't show those parts. :D
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Val didn't have a photo of is someone sleeping on a cot amongst the costumes. . .this is also her guest room when one of us comes down for a costume adventure! As for me, I have to share my room with a desk, computer and two filing cabinets for our business. . . .looking forward to the day when I have my own dedicated room. . . .about a year from now, actually. Val is a prolific seamstress with good ideas. . .expect more dresses!

    ReplyDelete

ALL COMMENTS ARE HELD IN MODERATION UNTIL I APPROVE THEM TO SAVE EVERYONE FROM SPAMMERS. But I would love to hear from my readers!