Started 9-25/ Finished 10-7-11
I wanted the bonnet itself to be covered in grey but not with the same cotton I’d made the chemisette for the gown out of. I found a remnant of a moleskin, that has a slightly fuzzy look to it, and a bit of a stretch which made it easier to cover the bonnet.A few years ago I'd taken a Millinery I class at our local college, and learned how to cover and trim hats. But when it came to cutting the fabric to fit the bonnet, I never got to that part. So I began piecing it to fit the different shapes of the bonnet. Later I realized my mistake was not making the front going back to the crown a separate piece. I used one piece to cover it all but the back. Because of the slight stretch, it still worked. And I figured I would be covering the seams with ribbon. You can see the lighter grey thread I used to sew the seams together here.
I covered the edges with a wide black grosgrain ribbon and hand sewed the outside to the frame. Because of the limited time I had left to finish this, the inside edge was turned under & hot glued to the straw. At some time I intend to line the inside and this cheat will be covered up.
My trimming was a slightly sheer black wired ribbon that I pulled the wire out of. For the front brim of the bonnet, I pleated the ribbon and tacked it on the top. I put another length of flat ribbon around the crown, and a separate piece under the crown. The part that crisscrossed was covered with a doubled folded piece of ribbon that after it was tacked on, I puffed up the edges.